Our development policies are badly off course and threaten the quality of life in the county.
We have allowed development to proceed with no plan for how to pay for and build the infrastructure that would be necessary to support it.
This poorly planned growth has given us the most crowded schools in the state, ever more congested roads, a Metro system badly underfunded, and ever higher taxes to pay for these infrastructure needs.
We must change our growth policy to restrict development until adequate schools, infrastructure, and services are guaranteed.
We face a widening divide between the wealthy and the rest of us. We must devote more resources to those who are struggling to get by.
Our schools are becoming segregated into wealthy districts and poor districts. We are losing affordable housing. Soaring college costs saddle students with a choice between lack of education and crippling debt.
- ensure that all schools have access to equal resources and all students access to programs that they need such as AP classes or magnet schools. We should implement a universal pre-k program and free college tuition.
- promote affordable housing. Now we are tearing down more affordable housing than we build. This is a losing strategy. We should preserve and retrofit existing affordable housing,
- enact stricter rent control guidelines and enact more renter safeguards such as a just cause eviction rule.
Foreign born residents now make up a third of our population. They need to be guaranteed an environment that is safe and secure.
Under the present administration ICE raids are becoming more common. These are terrorizing tactics for those foreign residents who are here legally. We must offer a safe have for all of our residents.
To promote a just society we should:
- end the use of the money bail system which results in the incarceration of the poor who cannot afford bail.
- treat drug addiction as a health issue not as a crime
- end the disproportionate incarceration of people of color, racially motivated policing strategies and racially biased minimum sentencing.
We can build a society that is sustainable, prosperous and just but it will take serious efforts at reform to some of our present policies. I am dedicated to making those changes, but I need your help.
I am running a campaign based on small individual donations. I will not accept donations from developers, unions, or PACs. I would like to qualify for public matching funds but to do that I need many individual donations. Please consider making a donation online. Or mail a check to Friends of Tim Willard, P.O. Box 217, Kensington, MD. 20895
Thank you all for your support
Authorized and paid for by Friends of Tim Willard, Julia Rice, treasurer